IIT vs NIT: Which is best or which one is better?
Want to become an engineer, then this question arise in the minds of students that which is better, IIT or NIT. In this blog, we will discuss the key differences between being an IITian or NITian.
Both institutes are well-reputed institutes of India, students are competing with each other to get admission in one of them.
7 Key differences between IITs and NITs !
- Number of Institutes – In India, there are 16 IITs & 31 NITs which indicates NITs are covered in more cities than IITs. Hence opportunities are severely truncated in terms of number of seats, with regards to IITs.
- Fees and Admission – As you are well aware that admission in IIT is through the JEE advanced Rank but in NIT’s you can get admission through JEE Mains. Talking about fees, NIT fees is cheaper than that of IITs. An overall four fees in IIT is around 10-12 lacs but in NIT’s it is around 6-8 lacs. (excluding hostel,mess and extra fees)
- Quality of Education – Quality of Education in both insititutes are more or less are quite similiar. Syllabus, Asignements, are exact same. Professors are highly qualified in both of the institutes.
- Infrastructure & Facilities – The infrastructures of IITs are wider & equipped with latest technologies. Classrooms and Practical labs are well advanced in technolgies. National Institutes of Technology are also equipped with many facilities that are quite updated but in comparison to Indian Institutes of Technology, the infrastructure of NITs is still in the development phase .
- Student Life – An intersting fact is that, students of IIT’s and NIT’s are equally talented, as they beat many students in the competition of JEE (Joint Entrance Exam). In the college you got exposure to many fields like enterprenurships, innovation, counselling cell and many others.
- Research – If you want to go deep in research work, then IIT is quite better option for you. The funding of IITs is higher for research papers and projects and this is the reason why IITs have a higher research contribution than NITs.
- Placements – Most important criteria to select a college, beacuse at the end we want a Job in Highly reputed MNC. There is a bare minimum and almost negligible difference in the companies that come to IIT and NIT for recruitments, both IIT and NIT students earn high packages, however in some rare cases, the IITian might earn a higher package due to the IIT tag that has been placed on him/her. It is only up to you that how do you use your skillset to grab the job that matches perfectly with your expectations.
Some big Entrepreneurs form IIT’s and NIT’s
|S. No.||Name||Designation & Company||Passed from|
|1.||Sachin Bansal||Co-Founder of Flipkart||IIT|
|2.||Binny Bansal||Co-Founder of Flipkart||IIT|
|3.||N. R. Murthy||Co-Founder of Infosys||IIT|
|4.||Natarajan Chandrasekaran||Chairman of Tata Sons||NIT|
|5.||Shyam Srinivasan||CEO of Federal Bank||NIT|
Here is the complete list of IITs & NITs.
In India, there are 16 IIT’s & 31 NIT’s.
|S. No.||Indian Institutes of Technology||National Institutes of Technology|
|1.||IIT Kharagpur||National Institute of Technology, Agartala|
|2.||IIT Mumbai||Motilal NIT Allahabad|
|3.||IIT Kanpur||Maulana Azad NIT Bhopal|
|4.||IIT Madras||NIT Calicut|
|5.||IIT Delhi||NIT Durgapur|
|6.||IIT Guwahati||NIT Hamirpur|
|7.||IIT Roorkee||Malaviya NIT Jaipur|
|8.||IIT Bhubaneswar||Dr. B. R. Ambedkar NIT Jalandhar|
|9.||IIT Gandhinagar||NIT Jamshedpur|
|10.||IIT Hyderabad||NIT Kurukshetra|
|11.||IIT Jodhpur||Visvesvaraya NIT Nagpur|
|12.||IIT Patna||NIT Patna|
|13.||IIT Ropar||NIT Raipur|
|14.||IIT Indore||NIT Rourkela|
|15.||IIT Mandi||NIT Silchar|
|16.||IIT (BHU) Varanasi||NIT Srinagar|
|17.||IIT Palakkad||S V NIT Surat|
|18.||IIT Tirupati||NIT Karnataka, Surathkal|
|19.||IIT Dhanbad||NIT Tadepalligudem|
|20.||IIT Bhilai||NIT Trichy|
|21.||IIT Goa||NIT Warangal|
|22.||IIT Jammu||NIT Arunachal Pradesh|
|23.||IIT Dharwad||NIT Sikkim|
Some FAQ’s about IIT and NIT’s
Which is the No 1 NIT in India?
Which NIT has highest package?
838 students were placed during NIT Warangal Placements 2021 so far. The highest CTC of INR 51.2 LPA was offered to the B. Tech students.
What is the salary of an IITian engineer?
The highest salary for an IIT Engineer in India is ₹52,46,839 per year. The lowest salary for an IIT Engineer in India is ₹11,317 per year.